About the Mauritius National Oceanographic Data Centre
The Mauritius National Oceanographic Data Centre (MNODC) operates as the national oceanographic data archive of Mauritius. It was officially established in November 1999 at the Mauritius Meteorological Services within the guidelines of the Ocean Data and Information Network for Africa second phase project (ODINAFRICA-II) with satellite stations at the University of Mauritius, Albion Fisheries Research Centre and Mauritius Oceanography Institute.
The aim of the MNODC is to enhance oceanographic services and promote further marine research by making available, to policy-makers and the marine communities, ocean data and products, in real and non-real time, for the efficient management and sustainable development of coastal and marine resources.
Its functions are to:
- Prepare and maintain a metadata database of all national data holdings.
- Coordinate the collection and archival of ocean data in Mauritius and ensure that regional and international procedures are being adhered to in the process to facilitate data and information exchange.
- Receive, manage and diffuse oceanographic data and products.
- Publicise data and products available in the Mauritian Coastal and Exclusive Economic Zone and facilitate their access to local users.
- Develop and maintain a web page on ocean data and products.
- Promote the exchange of ocean data and products at the local, regional and international levels through electronic communication.
- Establish a networking of all stakeholders to facilitate exchange of data and products.
- Provide appropriate training in marine data and information management to take maximum advantage of the facilities available at the centre.
- Organise training workshops/seminars for the benefit of data collectors, providers and end users.
- Coordinate local participation in overseas training activities on data and information management.
- Participate in the activities of the International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange (IODE) Programme of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO.
National Committee on NODC
A national committee to oversee the development of the NODC has been constituted. It comprises representatives from the:-
- Albion Fisheries Research Centre of the Ministry of Fisheries
- Central Informatics Bureau
- Central Statistical Office
- Ministry of Environment & National Development Unit
- Mauritius Oceanography Institute
- National Coast Guard
- Ministry of Housing and Lands
- University of Mauritius
- National Remote Sensing Centre
- Mauritius Meteorological Services
The Committee meets regularly to review progress of ongoing activities and plans follow-up actions. The current chairman of the committee is effected by Mr M.Beebeejaun of the Meteorological Services.